Download the Tracy|Driscoll App - Google Play Apple
How to Protect Yourself Against Uninsured Drivers

Every state in the U. S. except for New Hampshire requires drivers to purchase insurance before they drive. Unfortunately, as many as one in five drivers do not purchase auto insurance reports the Insurance Research Council (IRC). If you’re in an accident with an uninsured driver, you get stuck with the financial costs. Protect yourself with these tips.

Purchase Uninsured Motorist (UM) Insurance

Uninsured Motorist insurance, also known as Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury (UMBI) insurance, pays medical bills for you and your passengers after an accident. It can also reimburse you for lost wages or if you’re a hit-and-run accident victim or a pedestrian who’s hit by an uninsured driver.

Purchase Uninsured Motorist Property Damage (UMPD) Coverage

Uninsured Motorist Property Damage insurance covers vehicle damage. It may also cover property damage depending on the state in which you live. In most cases, UMPD coverage will not cover hit-and-run accidents.

Purchase Underinsured Motorist (UIM) Protection

Sometimes, at-fault drivers do have insurance, but their policy includes low limits that are insufficient to fix your vehicle repair. Your UIM policy will pay the difference and fix your automobile.

Report Accidents

After an accident with an uninsured driver, you may be asked not report the accident or file an insurance claim. Resist the temptation to cut the driver a break. You could be stuck with any bills related to the accident, particularly since your insurance company will probably not pay the claim if you don’t report the accident.

Always document accidents and damages. Include who was driving both vehicles and who was at fault. Get the other driver’s name and phone number as well as his or her driver’s license number and the vehicle’s registration, plate number, make and model.

Give us a Call

You can’t control the type of insurance coverage other drivers purchase. However, you can make sure you have enough coverage to pay for medical injuries and damages if you’re in an accident. Give Tracy-Driscoll a call today at 860-589-3434 to speak with an insurance professional, who can ensure that you have the right amount of coverage for your needs.